The day includes a little of the boats history, some ‘classroom’ based introduction to the tools and materials, and then proceeds with the boat building. Each stage of the process is explained and a demonstration of the process provided, followed by guidance and, if required, a little assistance.
As part of the process John will also talk about a few associated topics including the nature and characteristics of wood for bending, appropriate timbers to use, various materials used in different places and times, how to care for your finished product and finally, some discussion on how to paddle it.
- The workshop is essentially practical in nature and, after an initial introduction and safety discussion, most of the talking and guidance will take place while participants work.
- The coracle can be built solo, in a pairs or trio. When booking the fee relates to the boat – up to three people can take part in the build if desired.
- A finished coracle can be transported on a standard car roof-rack or in the boot of an medium Estate car with the back seats lowered forward.
- Due to logistical constraints the finished coracle is not painted with the waterproof sealant. Advice on various options is provided. Sealant is not provided.
- If the coracle is not finished over the course of the day John provides instructions on how to complete the boat and is available for email or telephone support.
- If you wish simply to take part in the building process but do not wish to keep the finished boat, it can be donated to a local water sports charity, which John can arrange.
Course timing and duration:
Course starts at 10am and finishes around 4pm depending on progress.
- 1 day personalised tuition,
- Use of all tools required
- Refreshments: Tea, Coffee, a range of milk options, fruit, biscuits and sweet treats
- Lunch is NOT provided.
You will need:
- Comfortable clothes and footwear suitable for outdoor and/or workshop environment.
- Waterproof coat for occasional showery weather
- An adventurous and participatory attitude
Course numbers: (6 boat Maximum)
- Maximum of 12, minimum of 6
Should the course have to be rescheduled for any reason participants will be notified at least 14 days prior to the course and alternative dates provided.